Thursday, March 28, 2013
THROUGH THE FIRST SIX MONTHS OF THIS SCHOOL YEAR, AT LEAST 130 TEACHERS IN LAFAYETTE PARISH SCHOOLS HAVE RESIGNED FOR VARIOUS REASONS. IN THE LAST SCHOOL YEAR, BY FEBRUARY, ONLY 36 TEACHERS HAD RESIGNED. IN ADDITION, ANOTHER 69 TEACHERS HAVE SUBMITTED RETIREMENT PAPERS THAT WILL GO INTO EFFECT IN JUNE. ONE WHO DECIDED TO RETIRE, ABBY BREAUX, A TEACHER AT EDGAR MARTIN MIDDLE SCHOOL TOLD THE ADVOCATE THAT HEALTH ISSUES AND DISCIPLINE PROBLEMS, INCLUDING REPEAT OFFENDERS RETURNING TO THE CLASSROOOM, LED TO HER DECISION.
THE CALCASIEU PARISH GAMING REVENUE DISTRICT HAS AGREED TO PUT OFF PASSING A RESOLUTION TO CONTRIBUTE FUTURE GAMBLING REVENUES FROM THE AMERISTAR CASINO RESORT FOR AN I-210/COVE LANE INTERCHANGE PROJECT UNTIL AFTER THE SULPHUR COUNCIL MEETING ON APRIL EIGHTH. THE PROJECT IS EXPECTED TO COST 80 MILLION DOLLARS, WITH THE STATE AND AMERISTAR CONTRIBUTING 60 MILLION TO THE PROJECT. NEARLY ALL THE GOVERNING ENTITIES IN THE PARISH HAVE AGREED TO CONTRIBUTE GAMBLING REVENUES TO THE PROJECT EXCEPT FOR THE CITY OF SULPHUR. SULPHUR MAYOR CHRIS DUNCAN SAYS HE DOESN’T BELIEVE 80 MILLION DOLLARS WILL COVER THE COST OF THE INTERCHANGE.
THE EUNICE POLICE DEPARTMENT RECEIVED INFORMATION THAT LED TO THE ARREST OF THREE PEOPLE FROM LAFAYETTE PARISH ON DRUG CHARGES. A RECORDED PHONE CALL WAS PLACED TO 22-YEAR-OLD TREVOR PRADIER OF LAFAYETTE REQUESTING 450 DOLLARS OF CRACK COCAINE. PRADIER DELIVERED THE DRUGS TO EUNICE AND WAS ACCOMPANIED BY TWO MEN FROM SCOTT, 33-YEAR-OLD PHILIP BERNARD AND 31-YEAR-OLD NATHAN GEORGE JUNIOR. AN INFORMANT WAS USED TO COMPLETE THE TRANSACTION, WHICH WAS RECORDED BY THE NARCOTICS DIVISION.
State Superintendent of Education John White says the state has received nearly 12,000 applications for state-funded private school tuition. That's up from 10,000 last year, the first year the voucher program was statewide. Increased interest comes despite a judge's ruling that the voucher program as currently funded violates the state constitution. A state Supreme Court ruling in that case is pending.
THE ATTORNEY FOR A LAFAYETTE MAN ACCUSED OF FIRST DEGREE MURDER IN THE SHOOTING DEATH OF 15-YEAR-OLD AUSTIN RIVAULT AND THE ATTEMPTED MURDERS OF TWO OTHER TEENS IS TRYING TO OBTAIN SURVEILLANCE VIDEO FROM THE NIGHT OF THE SHOOTING. JULIE DARCY HAS MORE.
DEQUINCEY POLICE ARE INVESTIGATING AN ACCIDENT IN WHICH A TRAIN HIT A PICKUP TRUCK, KILLING THE DRIVER. THE VICTIM WAS 81-YEAR-OLD CURTIS SANDIFER OF DEQUINCY. A PRELIMINARY INVESTIGATION HAS DETERMINED THAT SANDIFER HAD PARKED HIS TRUCK ON THE TRACKS AND DID NOT MOVE OFF THE TRACKS DESPITE THE HORN BLOWING. THE ACCIDENT HAPPENED AT THE HOLLY STREET INTERSECTION, WHICH DOES NOT HAVE CROSSING ARMS.
AN OUT-OF COURT SETTLEMENT HAS BEEN REACHED BETWEEN WALMART AND A WOMAN WHO SAW A NUTRIA IN THE ABBEVILLE STORE, THOUGH TERMS WERE NOT RELEASED. ACCORDING TO THE LAWSUIT, IN APRIL OF 2009 REBECCA WHITE OF VERMILLION PARISH WAS SHOPPING AT THE STORE WHEN A LARGE NUTRIA CAME FROM BEHIND A COKE RACK AND RAN AT HER. WHITE PULLED HER SHOPPING CART IN FRONT OF HER TO PROTECT HERSELFAND ROLLED IT OVER HER FOOT, CAUSING HER TO STUMBLE AND INJURE HERSELF. THE LAWSUIT STATES THAT EMPLOYEES AT THE STORE KNEW ABOUT THE NUTRIA AND HAD NAMED IT.
The Department of Health and Hospitals has quietly released a new financial analysis that estimates the state could save as much as $368 million over 10 years by expanding Louisiana's Medicaid program under the federal health law. The analysis was posted on DHH's website this week with no fanfare. The department hasn't touted the findings. DHH issued a statement Wednesday saying the expansion "remains a risky proposition for Louisiana taxpayers."