Monday, September 30, 2013
A 53-year-old man with no known criminal history is being held in lieu of $1 million bond, accused of shooting and killing a pastor during a revival service in southwest Louisiana. The Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office says Woodrow Karey, of Lake Charles, surrendered minutes after Ronald Harris was shot in front of 65 worshippers Friday night in the Tabernacle of Praise Worship Center. Karey has been booked on a second-degree murder charge. Sheriff's office spokeswoman Kim Myers says Karey told deputies where to find a shotgun and a .22-caliber pistol he had left in nearby woods.
The St. Landry Parish business incubator is looking for companies to help. The Daily World reports the incubator was created to help grow employment from within the parish. But it has yet to attract many clients, and it faces a deadline on a $750,000 loan from the state that is forgivable only if it creates 20 jobs by March 2014. The incubator is operated by the St. Landry Economic and Industrial Development District.
Lafayette-based Frank's International plans to build an office and warehouse complex next to its existing headquarters building. The Advocate reports the oil and gas service company is projecting expansion of the industry worldwide and planning to expand internationally. The 175,000-square-foot facility will be built on 55 acres with completion projected for October 2014. Core Construction Group is the primary contractor for the construction project.
ACCORDING TO A NEW NATIONAL REPORT, MEN ARE STILL KILLING WOMEN AT A HIGHER RATE IN LOUISIANA THAN MOST OTHER STATES. JULIE DARCY HAS MORE.
THE FALL SEASON OF THE COUSHATTA FARMER’S MARKET IN ELTON KICKS OFF THIS SATURDAY. THERE WILL BE MUSIC, PRIZES AND GIVEAWAYS. ALSO PLANNED IS A HALF MARATHON AND A 5-K WALK RUN, WITH CASH PRIZES TO BE AWARDED. REGISTRATION FOR THOSE TWO EVENTS ENDS THIS WEDNESDAY.
A RENEWAL CELEBRATION WAS HELD AT ST. CHARLES COLLEGE IN GRAND COTEAU TO MARK THE COMPLETION OF 16 MILLION DOLLARS IN RENOVATIONS. MICHAEL BOURG, THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FOR ADVANCEMENT OF THE JESUITS’ NEW ORLEANS PROVINCE, SAYS THE RENOVATION SHOWS THEIR COMMITMENT TO STAYING IN SOUTH LOUISIANA. HE TELLS THE DAILY ADVERTISER THAT IT COMES AT AN OPPORTUNE TIME AS THE NEW ORLEANS AND MISSOURI PROVINCES WILL MERGE NEXT JULY TO CREATE A 15 STATE JESUIT DISTRICT. BOURG SAYS THE RENOVATIONS TO THE 103-YEAR-OLD BUILDING WILL HELP MAKE IT LAST FOR ANOTHER ONE HUNDRED YEARS.
THE CITY OF YOUNGSVILLE IS EXPECTED TO OPEN A NEW MULTIMILLION DOLLAR SPORTS COMPLEX IN JANUARY, WHICH WILL INCLUDE BASEBALL AND SOCCER FIELDS, TENNIS COURTS, AND MORE. THE BASEBALL AND SOCCER FIELDS WERE SEEDED LAST WEEK. THE COMPLEX IS LOCATED NEAR THE SUGAR MILL POND HOUSING DEVELOPMENT. THE CITY’S RECREATION DIRECTOR TIM ROBICHEAUX SAYS THEY EXPECT TO BEGIN ADVERTISING FOR BIDS IN OCTOBER FOR A 5-AND-A-HALF TO SIX MILLION DOLLAR COMMUNITY CENTER, WHICH SHOULD BE COMPLETED BY LATE NEXT YEAR OR IN 2015.
BP's 86-day struggle to stop the flow of oil gushing from its blown-out well in the Gulf of Mexico will be the focus of a trial scheduled to resume Monday in federal court. BP insists it was prepared to respond to the deadly disaster, but plaintiffs' attorneys will argue that the company could have capped the well much sooner if it hadn't ignored decades of warnings about the risks of a deep-water blowout. U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier has set aside 16 days for the second phase of the trial, which also will feature experts' dueling testimony about the amount of oil that spilled into the Gulf. The trial's first phase ended in April after the judge heard eight weeks of testimony about the causes of the blowout.