Tuesday, July 9, 2013
(TV-10) A Palmetto man is behind bars after attacking an 80-year-old woman in an attempt to rob her. On May 25, St. Landry Parish deputies were called to a residence on Carmons Road in Palmetto in reference to a home invasion. Upon arrival the 80-year-old victim told investigators her attacker came through her bedroom window and demanded money. The suspect raided through the home in search of money after he strangled the victim until she was unconscious. The victim was able to regain consciousness to call for help. Charles Durell Lavergne has been arrested and charged with home invasion, theft, and attempted first degree murder. He is being held at the St. Landry Parish Jail with no bond.
A FORMER WELSH GREYHOUNDS BASKETBALL PLAYER IS DEAD AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT YESTERDAY MORNING ON I-10, JULIE DARCY HAS MORE
THE SULPHUR CITY COUNCIL DID NOT APPROVE A PROPOSED RV PARK, BUT DID ANNEX THE PROPERTY. THEY WILL TAKE UP THE PROPOSAL AGAIN NEXT MONTH DURING THE AUGUST 12TH MEETING. THE COUNCIL HOPES TO GET MORE INFORMATION ON THE RV PARK FROM DEVELOPERS AND FOLLOW UP ON CONCERNS FROM NEARBY RESIDENTS THAT WILL BE AFFECTED BY THE PARK. THE PROPERTY IS JUST SOUTH OF THE I-10 INTERCHANGE ON BEGLIS PARKWAY.
TONIGHT THE ACADIA PARISH POLICE JURY WILL REVIEW THE AUDIT REPORT FOR THE 2012 FISCAL YEAR. THE REPORT WILL OUTLINE REVENUE AND EXPENDITURES FOR THE VARIOUS PARISH DEPARTMENTS. THE MEETING WILL BE HELD IN THE 3RD FLOOR MEETING ROOM TONIGHT @ 6:30 AND IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
(TV-10) New Iberia's Fire Station No. 2 was shut down on Friday due to a lack of staff, one of a handful of times in last couple of weeks, which Mayor Hilda Curry and Fire Chief Ronald Bourque say may be permanent come October. Both say permanently closing that fire station will not affect the city's fire rating or response time, because of Fire Station No. 1 in close proximity. Bourque says he doesn't want to see Fire Station No. 2 close, but with the city running a $2 million deficit, the city needs to be frugal. The $15,000 the city council put forth for overtime pay could go towards staffing Fire Station No. 2, but Bourque says using that money would do more harm than good for New Iberia's citizens, because he needs to pay firefighters overtime when there are severe emergencies. Curry, who is responsible for day-to-day operations, says the city will continue to close Fire Station No. 2 as needed, reiterating that the city is tightening its fiscal belt."I'm being fiscally responsible. We're only spending overtime throughout the city when it is absolutely necessary," says Curry.
(AP) — The Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office has settled a 2011 lawsuit filed by a deputy who said he was targeted within the department and demoted after reporting the head of the parish jail system had falsified a document. The Advocate reports the sheriff's office has agreed to pay Matthew Thomassee $175,000 to settle the lawsuit. In return, Thomassee — a former Lafayette Parish Correction Center supervisor — agreed to resign and withdraw a complaint he made to the Louisiana Board of Ethics about the department, Sheriff Mike Neustrom and Director of Corrections Rob Reardon. The settlement was reached in May but made public recently. Attempts to reach Thomassee and the Sheriff's Office yesterday for comments were unsuccessful.
(AP) — Barna Haynes, the former office administrator to District Attorney Mike Harson, wants a federal judge to delay her Aug. 8 sentencing date. Haynes pleaded guilty in January to one count of conspiracy to commit fraud for her role in an alleged bribery scheme involving drunk driving cases in the 15th Judicial District Court where she was employed. The Advertiser reports Haynes' attorney last week asked the court to delay her sentencing until after the trial of Robert Williamson, a Lafayette private investigator who was indicted in the bribery scheme and is the alleged mastermind. Haynes has agreed to assist the government in its case against Williamson. Four others, including two former workers in the District Attorney's Office, pleaded guilty in the bribery scheme. None has been sentenced.
(AP) — Despite consistent speculation about his interest, Gov. Bobby Jindal said he has no plans to run against Democratic U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu next year. The Republican governor offered a definitive rejection of the idea that he wanted to return to Congress, saying, "Absolutely not, emphatically no." He went on to repeat his disinterest five more times, saying, "I will not be a candidate for the United States Senate." Landrieu is in her third term and is considered vulnerable because she is a Democrat in a state that tends to vote Republican in national elections. She has attracted two GOP challengers: U.S. Rep. Bill Cassidy, a Baton Rouge doctor, and Rob Maness, a retired Air Force colonel from Madisonville. The election will be held in November 2014.